Thursday, February 7, 2013

When you feel like throwing in the towel...


Here’s to a little inspirational spill…

Since putting a conscious effort toward being more active and getting in shape lately, it seems to be doing more harm than good.  It is absolutely the most frustrating thing ever, getting done with a really good workout, or having to stop mid-workout to eat the equivalent of a fourth meal due to a low blood sugar.  Or… those lows causing you to eat a midnight snack that you otherwise would be avoiding. 

There is a lot behind the brain of an insulin pump, but recently I’ve been outsmarting it.  After having so many lows, I started messing around with some numbers and tweaking some things, attempting to eliminate them, but nothing seemed to be helping.  Two Sundays ago before lunch, my blood sugar was 38.  There was no rhyme or reason to that one and it scared me.  That moment was when I really got frustrated! 

I went to my endocrinologist last Thursday and told them everything.  My exact words were, “I need help!”  Beth who I have seen for 10 years worked her magic like usual.  She could tell that the whole low blood sugar, trying to get in shape combo was discouraging and told me everything I needed to hear!  I was put on a continuous glucose monitor device for several days that tracked my blood sugar every 5 minutes.  Since making those changes, things have been a lot better!


It’s amazing how far technology has come in the past decade or so!  Right now, there is such a thing as an insulin pump and a continuous glucose monitor.  Once scientists figure out how to connect the pump to the continuous glucose monitor to where blood sugars will be automatically fixed… BAM, close to artificial pancreas!

No comments:

Post a Comment