Thursday, November 22, 2012

Have Your Pie and Eat it Too!

Ham, turkey, carrots, dressing, gravy, biscuits, cranberry sauce, sweet potato soufflĂ©, macaroni and cheese, pumpkin pie... I ate it all.  The only additional thing I had to do this Thanksgiving was count carbs, and give insulin with my pump!  When I was 8, I was fortunate enough to get on an insulin pump.  Every time I eat, instead of having to count carbs, use a bunch of equations to figure out how much insulin is needed to cover those carbs, and then give myself a shot, I just use my pump!  I enter the carbs and it does the rest!  I try to limit myself on sweets because they aren't good for anyone! Having Diabetes doesn't mean I can't eat sugar... in fact I can't remember ever missing a slice of cake on my birthday, chocolate on Easter, or s'mores at a bonfire!  As long as my blood sugar is good and I give insulin for what I'm eating (preferably before), I can really eat anything I want to!  Of course too much of anything is bad, and I do try to limit myself on unhealthy foods because let's be honest... they don't do anyone any good!  But... I feel like on Thanksgiving you can splurge a little :)

No comments:

Post a Comment